Poor Man’s Boeuf Bourguinon
A Hearty Weeknight Supper
2-3 tbsp plain flour
1.5kg piece beef brisket, off the
bone (either rolled or unrolled is fine)
2 tbsp olive oil
400g streaky bacon or lardons
15 baby onions
75cl bottle good red wine
1 litre good-quality beef stock
1 bouquet garni
Knob of butter
600g chestnut mushrooms, cut in half if large
Handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to garnish
1. Put the flour onto a large plate and season well. Roll the brisket in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole and brown the meat for a few minutes each side then set aside.
2. Add the bacon or lardons to the pan and fry for a few minutes until starting to colour, then add the whole peeled baby onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning regularly.
3. Return the beef to the pan. Add the red wine, stock and bouquet garni and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 1½ hours, turning the brisket over occasionally.
4. Heat the butter in frying pan and fry the mushrooms for a few minutes, then add to the casserole and simmer, uncovered for a further 30 minutes-1 hour, until the beef is really tender. Skim off the excess fat.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley, then carve the brisket into slices and serve with buttered mashed potato.
By Angela Boggiano
Source: Delicious Magazine